Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Another Quick Update!!!

I just played my round one match with Gibler in the May Heads-Up Championship, and took it down in two games.

Game one was pretty uneventful. My strategy was to sit back and play very quietly until I had an idea of his heads-up skill. I've never really sat with Gibler and don't know too much about him other than he's been pwning some of the same tourneys I used to love playing every night (3rs, 5rs, 18k gtd, etc.). I definitely was giving him credit as a good player coming in, so I figured I would see what kind of approach he takes.

He was pretty quiet also, it didn't seem like he was bullying me around or anything, and he had no problem checking a flop after raising preflop, and most times would also check the turn as well meaning he had missed and wasn't doing the standard c-betting. I didn't want to create a Laggy image, though, so I didn't even try to pick up the pots that he was giving up on. I decided to let him think that I am a totally honest and straightforward player, not getting too tricky or anything.

I checked down lots of pots and maybe stabbed a turn or river if and only if I hit. I don't think I ever raised pf and did lots of limping and checking flops.

I was a card rack once in the first match with the 6-4 of spades. I limped the button and he raised it 4x I think. He hadn't done that very much the entire match, as we had seen most flops for just limps. The flop came down AKx and it check checked. I turned the 4 and it check checked again, I believe. The river came down 6 and he paid off a decent sized bet with KQ.

Really nothing else big happened, and I took that one down.

Match 2 was fucking crazy. Hand one he pushed on the button and I folded a raggedy Jack, I believe. Hand two I limped KQs and he pushed the BB. I decided something wasn't right here, as he isn't a bad player and would have no reason to push here with a monster hoping to get called by a weaker hand. That and the fact that he is unlikely to wake up with a monster twice in a row if indeed that is his strat led me to call it.

He turned over A9o and I flopped a flush draw. The river came Q and I took it down. That put him with 40 chips to my 2960. The next hand was it when my 10-4 or something held up.

That was that and I moved on to round two of the May Heads-Up Championship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo it's gibler. i guess you didnt see after the 2nd match why i pushed.

my worst game is HU, there is no doubt about it. i have been HU at the FT prob 7ish+ times, and i've won once. after i lost match 1, i realized that i HAD to win match #2. knowing i was a underdog to play it like a normal HU match, i figured i would push my good hands, hoping to win. and play match #3 legit.

it was kind of a do or die